Mechanism for redressal of students’ grievances
Arunodaya University has created a mechanism for redressal of students’ grievances related to academic and non-academic matters, such as assessment, victimization, attendance, charging of fees, conducting of examinations, harassment by colleague students or teachers etc. There is Grievance Redressal Committee at the University level to deal with the grievances of the students. The details of these committee is furnished below:
University Level -Grievance Redressal Committee.
1. Vice Chancellor – Chairperson
2. Dean of faculty of Management
3. Chairperson of the concerned programme
This committee will deal with all the Grievances directly which are related to the common problems both academic and administrative nature. In addition, this committee will also entertain the appeal filed by the students’ against the decision of the programme level committee.
PERIODICITY AND ATTENDANCE AT MEETINGS:
- The Grievance Committee will meet as and when required. However, if necessary, it may meet more frequently at the instance of the Chairman or at the request of the other members to discuss the various issues received.
- At least three members of the Grievance Committee shall be present in a meeting.
- If a member of the Grievance Committee is connected with the grievance of the aggrieved individual, the concerned member of the Grievance Committee shall not participate in the deliberations regarding that individual’s case.
- If the aggrieved person happens to be a member of the Grievance Committee, then he/she shall not participate in the deliberations as a member of the Committee when his/her representation is being considered.
The students are the main stakeholders in any institution imparting education, and its our endeavour to make all efforts to ensure transparency in all the activities at different stages. Taking this spirit in consideration the institute has decided to provide mechanism to students for Redressal of their grievances as under:
- The Grievances may broadly include the following complaints of the aggrieved students
- Grievance related to Assessment
- Grievance related to Victimization
- Grievance related to Attendance
- Grievance related to charging of fees
- Grievance regarding conducting of Examinations
- Harassment by colleague students or the teachers etc.
It is good to air a grievance rather than to keep it bottled up. protection of human rights is essential for all round development of an individual’s personality to realize the primary needs of the students and staff and secure civil liberties for everybody.
Procedure for Redressal of Grievances (RoG) is as under:
(d) The Grievance Redressal Committee shall consider the appeal of the student and make appropriate recommendations to the Chairperson within a reasonable time, preferably within 15 days. On approval by the Chairperson, the final decision shall be communicated to the student.
(e) The , if needed, may recommend to the Chairperson, necessary corrective action as it may deem fit, to ensure avoidance of recurrence of similar grievance at the University.
(f) While dealing with the complaint, the Committee at all levels shall observe law of natural justice and hear the complainant and concerned people.
(g) While passing an order on any Grievance at any level, the relevant provisions of the Act/Regulations would be kept in mind and no such order would be passed in contradiction of the same.
(h) The aggrieved member shall submit his/her petition to the Chairman, Grievance Redressal Committee in a sealed envelope marked “confidential”.
(i) In case of false and frivolous complaint (if proved), the Grievance Redressal Committee will recommend Chairperson to take appropriate action against the complainant.
Scope: The committee will deal with Grievances received in writing from the students about any of the following matters:- Academic Matters: Related to timely issue of duplicate Mark-sheets, Transfer Certificates, Conduct Certificates or other examination related matters. • Financial matters: Related to dues and payments for various items from library, hostels etc. • Other Matters: Related to certain misgivings about conditions of sanitation, preparation of food, availability of transport, victimization by teachers etc.
Functions: • The cases will be attended promptly on receipt of written grievances from the students • The committee formally will review all cases and will act accordingly as per the university policy
Procedure for lodging complaint: • The students may feel free to put up a grievance in writing/or in the format available in the admin dept. and drop it in boxes • The Grievance Committee will act upon those cases which have been forwarded along with the necessary documents. • The Committee will assure that the grievance has been properly solved in a stipulated time limit.